There are a lot of these out there on the Interwebs, but this is one of the few I’ve run into (since I don’t normally use Windows) and the only one I’ve captured.
There are two serious wtfs here.
- The application wasn’t Internet Explorer, although it says so in the dialog title. It was Windows’ (supposedly built-in) zip application. The scenario: I opened up a zip file and dragged one of the compressed files to the desktop.
- The question. Move or copy…? Ok, I want to copy, since I want the file to remain in the zip file. So then I’ll answer… Yes..? No?
Of course, this is a matter of interpretation, but still. Dialogs mustn’t be ambiguous like this.
Up until now, I haven’t really cared what browser people are using. I haven’t designed any commercial web sites for a long time and in the research projects I worked on at HIIT, we always had a target device or target browser, disregarding the poor bastards that didn’t use the right equipment.
Things are different now. I’m developing a real web application for real people with real browsers (or not), which means that I more than ever need to take into consideration what gear people are using our application with. This would be fairly simple if it weren’t for all web designers nemesis: Internet Explorer 6. Let us together once and for all put this freak to rest. Please.
I’m sick and tired of the new WPG2 plugin for WordPress forcing me to use the embedded gallery page. Sure, nowadays you can configure it to look identical to the actual gallery, but that doesn’t satisfy me. Since my gallery is on another virtual domain (gallery.fredrikbostrom.net as opposed to blog.fredrikbostrom.net) I want the images in my WordPress sidebar to link to a page where the URL tells me that I’ve moved away from the blog and am now viewing the gallery. WPG2 version 3.x doesn’t do this, so I decided to fix it myself (yet again a case of “if you want something done, do it yourself).
I just upgraded my WordPress along with all my active plugins, and apparently the WPG2 plugin has broken my blog. When trying to read a full blog post, you are instead redirected to my gallery’s front page.
I’ll try to fix the problem asap.
I’ve been separated from my MacBook for a week now, and I’m in pain. Ok, it’s not actually my MacBook since it’s my work computer, but I’ve grown so fond of it that it hurts to be without it. Apparently, the hard drive is broken (or at least the file system is corrupted), so it had to be handed over to the Apple authorities for surgery. They’ll probably replace the hard drive, forcing me to re-install and reconfigure the machine. This all started with an OS X upgrade from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 which wouldn’t install properly.
This week I’ve been fiddling around with my thesis application, trying to get it up and running again after a hibernation period of almost a year. A lot of things had changed since I last used it, both on the department server and in our database, so I was in for some serious glueing, duct taping and debugging. Most of the problems were quite straight forward to fix, such as the database being out of date, some protocols having changed and so on. But there was one thing I just couldn’t understand.
When my web application tried to create an HttpSession object by calling getSession(true) on the HttpServletRequest instance, it returned null! According to the servlet 2.4 specification, the method must return a new session if it doesn’t exist, so this was just insane behaviour. By reflex, I started Googling for some answers, and it actually took me a while to find the solution.
Goddamn Apple! You have to do better than this! A week’s worth of work down the drain just because you can’t handle sleep mode properly.
I was just playing some music with iTunes on my MacBook, leaving it on the table using battery power. Suddenly it goes quiet and I thought “ok, battery’s drained, it’s hibernating”. Imagine my surprise when I plugged in the power chord and pressed the power button. It didn’t recover from the hibernation – it booted! Everything I was working on was gone.