It’s been about 6 years since I last painted something in my flat. That was when we repainted basically the whole apartment, floor to ceiling. A couple of weeks ago it was again time to get the paintbrush going. I’ve been wanting to get a magnetic chalkboard for some time and considered several alternatives, from buying an IKEA version to hang on the wall to painting the actual wall myself. The handyman in me naturally opted for the latter alternative. This was, however, not without difficulties.
It all started out fine. I measured and calculated the area of the wall where the board would be painted (an area of about 250×40 cm) and framed it with tape. The magnetic paint I used was rather thick but still easy to apply. However, due to the thickness the paintbrush left handsome grooves in the paint. As one 0,5 litre can was supposed to cover 1,5 m², I decided to paint only part of the area with magnetic paint to get a sufficiently thick layer for magnets to stick to it. This required three layers of magnetic paint. After each layer, the grooves deepened and by the time the can was empty the wall was quite the washboard.
I thought that the covering chalkboard paint would ease out the grooves, but after applying the first layer I realized that it didn’t. Writing with chalk on this would be a royal pain in the ass. It just wouldn’t do. After a few days of pondering I decided to smooth the (now four layers of) paint with rough (P40) sandpaper. Finer paper didn’t do the trick, so after some tedious sandpapering I now had a bit shallower sandpaper grooves in the paint instead of the paintbrush grooves before. And of course a thick layer of black and graphite dust all over myself and the kitchen (yes mom, I did wear a dust mask). Although not perfect, I couldn’t bother with it anymore, and decided to finish off the chalkboard paint and be done with it.
The next surprise (although suspected) came when I removed the tape and faced the fact that the black chalkboard paint had bled under the tape, creating a butt-ugly black lace border. Goddamn, enough already! Well, luckily the paint had only bled at the areas where I hadn’t applied the magnetic paint. And more luckily, I still had half a bucket of the 6 year old almost white wall paint left to cover the bleeding with (surprisingly, it was still in perfect condition). So after very carefully covering the bleeding with the half decade old paint using a sponge to avoid further paintbrush grooves, my work was finally done. The two-day project had suddenly become two weeks of agony. But the result is still rewarding.
Notes to self:
- google around on how to prevent paint bleedings before painting
- apply magnetic paint with a foam paint roller to prevent paintbrush grooves
- don’t dispose of paint you think you don’t need anymore